Thursday, December 6, 2012

Christmas Song: One Small Child



Lately I've been thinking about some of my favorite Christmas songs and wanted to share a few with you during the month of December.

One Small Child is a comparatively new Christmas song (I won't call it a carol really) that I've enjoyed since I first heard it as a teenager. It has a bit of a haunting melody paired with lyrics that tell of one small child, Jesus, and how his birth meant so much more than just another child - it meant the birth of a Savior.


One Small Child

One small child in a land of a thousand.
One small dream of a savior tonight.
One small hand reaching out to the starlight.
One small savior of life. Ooh.

One king bringing his gold and riches.
One king ruling an army of might.
One king kneeling with incense and candlelight.
One king bringing us life. Ooh.

(chorus)
See Him lying, a cradle beneath Him.
See Him smiling in the stall.
See His mother praising the Father.
See His tiny eyelids fall.
See the shepherds kneeling before Him.
See the kings on bended knee.
See the mother praising the Father.
See the blessed infant sleep.

One small child in a land of a thousand.
One small dream of a savior tonight.
One small hand reaching out to the starlight.
One small savior of life.

-Words and music by David Meece (who reportedly wrote it at age 14)


Music Videos:

One Small Child by First Call - a gorgeous a cappella version


One Small Child by Evie - a bit of a 1970's flair but she has a very sweet voice.


One Small Child & We Three Kings by The Blenders - a strong mens a cappella quartet, they sing One Small Child first. My sister and I really enjoy their arrangement of both songs.


Have you heard or maybe even sung One Small Child before?
Do you have a favorite recorded version of the song?



4 comments:

Rhoswen Faerie Wrose said...

I've only ever heard the Rebecca St.James version... I didn't know others had recorded it.
I'll have to listen to these other versions later, as I am out in public right now. ;-)

Arielle Melody Bailey said...

I love this song! I enjoy Rebecca St. James version, although the version my family usually listens to is not hers. We hear it on the radio, and I don't know who sings it. (Now I'm going to have to hunt around and see if I can find out!) I'll have to listen to these versions soon.

I've awarded you at my blog: http://thesplendorfalls.blogspot.com/2012/12/awards_6.html

Your new blog design is gorgeous! I love it! And the Young Victoria is a FANTASTIC movie!

Rachel Hope said...

This is my favorite christmas song, I found it one year in the hymnal, which seems impossible. Because, its a relatively new song. It must have been a relatively new hymnal. I agree with the haunting melody, its just lovely. I'm glad someone else knows and loves this song.
Blessings ~ Rachel Hope

Anonymous said...

I've only heard the writer's (David Meece)version, but do like First Call remake version
Evie does a good job too! Thanks for sharing=Merry CHRISTmas every one...RecordSteve

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...