Thursday, April 28, 2016

Jane Austen Would You Rather


A while back Cordy from Write On, Cordy! tagged me in a Jane Austen Would You Rather tag. There's some really fun questions here! Sorry Cordy for taking so long to repost this. I hope y'all enjoy these questions and take some time to answer them yourself.


Who would you rather have act as your matchmaker, Lady Russell (from Persuasion) or Mrs. Jennings?  Mrs. Jennings. I actually have quite an appreciation for her motherly kindness even though she is a bit embarrassing at times. She made very good matched for her two daughters and Marianne Dashwood that combined personality matching (and kind regard, if not love) with being comfortably well settled in their married life. Even her matching Elinor up with Colonel Brandon (towards the end of the book) was not a bad match at all had their hearts not already been tied to others. Lady Russell means well I'm sure but she worries too much about rank and wealth.



Who would you like as a pen pal from Jane Austen's works? Probably Fanny Price. She was a faithful correspondent to her brother William and she keeps her letters newsy. I'd love to have her a a pen pal!


Who would you rather go on a walk with, Colonel Fitzwilliam or Captain Benwick? That's a tricky one because they both sound delightful! But while a country walk around Rosings with the good humored Colonel Fitzwilliam sounds lovely, I think I'd rather have a brisk seaside jaunt with the poetry spouting Captain Benwick!



Who would you rather have to befriend, Mrs. Elton or Lucy Steele? Mrs. Elton. I am very like Jane Fairfax so I think I could befriend Mrs. Elton fairly well, at least she speaks her mind most of the time. Lucy Steele is much more of a double crossing type person who says one thing to your face and does another behind your back, I couldn't handle that type of person.


Who would you rather have as a sibling, John Knightley or Mary [Musgrove] (from Persuasion, not Mary Bennet)? John Knightley. He's kind and has a great snarky sense of humor (reminds me of my dad actually). Mary Musgrove is just plain annoying!


Who would you rather dance with? (Very open book!) Hard one! Probably Henry Tilney but perhaps Mr. Knightley - both elegant dancers and gentlemanly partners.


Who would you rather refuse, Mr. Collins or Mr. Elton? Mr. Elton. At least he would get the point right off and not persist on ignoring my refusal.


Who would you rather match-make for, Miss Bates or Mary Bennet? Mary Bennet. I think a studious young minister should be easy enough to find as she could help him to write his sermons, or what about a foreign missionary!


Who would you rather have as a best friend? Eleanor Tilney, always and forever. She's one of my favorite characters in Northanger Abbey and I just love her practical good sense, sweetness and good humor.


Who would you rather argue with? (Mrs. Bennet, Lady Catherine, Emma Woodhouse, Mr. Woodhouse, Mr. Palmer, Mrs. Jennings, Fanny Dashwood, Captain Wentworth, Mr. Darcy, ect.)
From the list I think that Captain Wentworth would be the most interesting person to argue with, challenging because he always makes sense, fun because his sense of humor always comes through.


Would you rather wander the grounds of Pemberley and risk being 'discovered' or wander over the downs surrounding Barton Cottage in the rain and twist an ankle? Usually I'd choose physical pain over emotional strain but Pemberley would be awesome to explore and meeting Mr. Darcy wouldn't be horrible. He can keep his wet shirts through!


Where would you live in Austen's works? That's hard to decide! There's a lot of interesting places to visit such as Bath, Lyme Regis or Pemberley but I feel like a small village such as Highbury in Emma would be more my speed. So I think I might like to live at Donwell Abbey (Mr. Knightley's residence in Emma). But I also like the idea of a country parsonage so maybe Mr. Tilney's smaller house at Woodston from Northanger Abbey.


Now It's Your Turn To Answer:
Who would you rather have act as your matchmaker, Lady Russell (from Persuasion) or Mrs. Jennings?
Who would you like as a pen pal from Jane Austen's works?
Who would you rather go on a walk with, Colonel Fitzwilliam or Captain Benwick?
Who would you rather have to befriend, Mrs. Elton or Lucy Steele?
Who would you rather have as a sibling, John Knightley or Mary (from Persuasion, not Mary Bennet)?
Who would you rather dance with? (Very open book!)
Who would you rather refuse, Mr. Collins or Mr. Elton?
Who would you rather match-make for, Miss Bates or Mary Bennet?
Who would you rather have as a best friend?
Who would you rather argue with? (Mrs. Bennet, Lady Catherine, Emma Woodhouse, Mr. Woodhouse, Mr. Palmer, Mrs. Jennings, Fanny Dashwood, Captain Wentworth, Mr. Darcy, ect.) 
Would you rather wander the grounds of Pemberley and risk being 'discovered' or wander over the downs surrounding Barton Cottage in the rain and twist an ankle?
Where would you live in Austen's works?



1 comment:

Cordy said...

Miss Laurie! I'm so glad you enjoyed the tag! Thanks for filling it out. There's no need to worry about the delay. Haha, I never set a deadline. :)

I too like Mrs. Jennings quirky kindnesses. While she is rather on the annoying side she does have a good heart.

Okay, the more I think about it the more I like your choice and reasoning behind arguing with Captain Wentworth. When I listed him it was only to give a wide variety of choices so that there would be unique answers for anyone who filled out the tag. At the time I didn't really consider him. But now, I think he would be interesting to argue with. Good pick.

As a side note, I'm guessing you prefer the older movie version of Persuasion...?

Thanks again!
Cordy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...